Saturday, January 3, 2009

And so this is Christmas!

Update:So I found out that MIL gave her favorite son (you know, the one I'm not married to) camping equipment, and a tupperware gravy shaker. And gave the wife maple tea. WTF, maple again! This could explain why she's so cold. She doesn't have blook in her veins, she has maple syrup in there! So. Camping equipment, tupperware gravy shaker and tea. Ok, those are all practical.


Hello faithful blog readers! Happy New Year! Last week for Christmas we went to hubby's Aunt's house in PA. It was really very nice, she had about 25 people over and we had fun. MIL was there with her husband, and the young sister in law and the exchange student from Korea. Thankfully there were lots of other people to talk to and they created a lovely buffer zone for me.

In the past, MIL used to make cookies, fudge or canned cookie/cocoa receipes and give out to everyone who was at the christmas event. Well, this time, we spoke before Christmas and I told her I was making mini bread loaves and mini muffins for each family, so she said she would do fudge or cookies. So MIL gave out to every family there: 4 teeny cubes of homemade fundge wrapped in plastic wrap with a fake sprig of evergreen hot glue gunned to it. I was honestly shocked, usually she makes a nice plate or tin of cookies, etc.

I had told hubby that we should bring a few wrapped presents for junior to open up b/c I knew he would feel left out when his cousins opened up all their presents and he just had one thing from MIL. Hubby poo-poohed it, and guess what? Yep, just like the first Christmas I spent with hubby's family, everyone else in the family gave and received lots of great gifts. Except us.

She got junior a DVD movie.

Yep. That's it. Oh, wait, the 16 year old sister in law also got him a movie.

When I have grandkids, I swear I am going to spoil them with presents. Not just one freaking DVD. He opened it up and was like, oh, where are my other presents mommy. He just sat there watching his cousins open up their presents. Fortunately, hubby's aunt and cousin brought some other things for him so he was happy. I was pissed though. I shouldn't be. I should know better.

I don't even try any more. I don't even expect anything anymore for myself. (I'm rambling - inlaws just left from today's visit and I've been drinking all day!!) Now remember last year? This is what I got last year:



Well, this was a much better year, no pictures yet, but will have some tomorrow. First, she gave hubby a pound of DD coffee. The came me. I got a cute-in-a-$2.45-I-bought-it-at-a-craft-show way 9" bud vase with a few handpainted purple flowers on it. Its cute. I almost broke it already. Now here's the kicker, she gave us a $25 Corning Warehouse gift card. Here's the catch: the Corning Warehouse is up by her and to use the gift card (price of admission) we would have to stay at her place for 2 nights most likely. WTF? Like I want to do that again?? I am seriously considering putting it on ebay! So, all in all, it wasn't that bad. I think after 11 years I've finally figured it out. One year we get shit in a wrapped box, and then other year we get a passable gift. The best year was when she gave me a $25 Michael's card. Why can't she just do that every year? It would be FANTASTIC!

Young sil gave hubby a baggie of 20 chocolate chip cookies. HA. She made me a pair of earrings. What's that you say? You can't remember the last time I wore earrings? I know. I usually wear them once a year at most. But, its better than last year's gift:



Ok. Seriously? I know. I tossed them in the garbage the minute after I took that picture, the things I do for you people! So this year, she gave me the earrings and today she brought me a box of loose decaf tea with a tea ball. Junior is in love with the tea ball. So, you know, I'm fine with that, again one year is shit, the other is fine.

Now, the brother in law and his new wife. Last year I got them a freaking turkey roasting pan with a wire rack and a 5pc metal basting set. God, I'm still bitter. Can you tell? Who remembers what they got me? Come on, how can you not? Show of hands! Here it is, in all its glory:



Please note the water bottle is only there to show size. They gave me a freaking 1/2" tall snowman candle. So, who wants to know what I got them this year? Wait. Go read the "Sucky Adventures in Vermont" posts first, then come back.

Done? Good. This year I made them a present. I should have taken a picture but, oops, I totally forgot to take pictures today. I think I took one. Anyway. I made them an inked canvas with a black & white wedding pic of them, with their names and some vellum quotes, etc. I think it came out awesome and only cost about $10. I know. I just am a sucker, and I like to make things. I don't think the wife liked it though, when she opened it up, she was like, oh, thanks and looked weird. Well, more weird than usual. Ok, so they gave us a snapfish album, wait let me go look up the price. $11.99!! It's cute. Mostly pictures of her family, and maybe 3 of us. Whatever. It's better than the freaking snowman candle.

So they came over today for Christmas. It was so freaking boring. Except for my hubby's friend, let's call him M. We had fun, he's a normal person. Hubby's family? Not so much. So I drank heavily. OMG, did you ever put coconut rum and eggnog in hot tea? It's so freaking delish. We had absolutely nothing to talk about. It was so awkward. Thank god its over. I don't have to see them again till Easter I think!

Oh, this is good. At one point, a friend of the family who came down with them (he grew up with hubby and the brother) asked if I was Jewish. My MIL says oh, what makes you ask? Did you see something that looks Jewish? She said it in an obnoxious tone. I guess she's offended that I put up a few hanukkah decorations next to the freaking christmas tree! So sorry!!!

Ugh. Ugh. Annoying. So glad its over. I swear my husband is the postman's child.
See, I just don't feel at all comfortable with them. We have nothing in common. Even my husband escaped and hung outside the whole time. Ooh, get this, I was going to seat them with my MIL in between brother and wife. And MIL says, oh, no you should put them next to each other. And I'm like, WTF, during my wedding you sat next to MY husband during the cocktail hour until I kicked your we-forgot-the-camera lying ass out of the room.

6 comments:

CindyLV said...

Okay, Lisa. I think I've got it figured out. In a previous life, you were either Lizzie Borden or Bloody Mary, and you've brought this on yourself! No one deserves such treatment!

My first family Christmas with my hubby, one of the family Grand Dames bought boxes of breakfast cereal for my nephews. In true kid fashion, the older one said, "What a gyp!" when he opened it. Their Mom (my SIL) got six cans of tuna.

Lisa said...

Hey Cindy! Happy New Year! Okay the breakfast cereal is cracking me up. I'm telling you, you should visit my inlaws discussion board, its a hoot.

http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a4725/dealing_with_the_inlaws_and_foo_family_of_origin

I'm sure I'll get canned seafood at some point in time!

angel said...

Lisa: I am just so sorry.


Happy New Year to you and your family!

Lisa said...

Hey Angel! Happy New Year to you and the guys! Hope you are doing well. We had a great holiday season aside from the inlaws and the boy was sufficiently spoiled by santa and my family. So life is good!

Unknown said...

Lisa
Did you know there is a Corning place in Sea Girt, NJ? Maybe you could use your GC there?

Kathy Ruddy

Lisa said...

ooh, I didn't know that, thanks Kathy! I wonder if I can, I will call them! That would be AWESOME! And just a tad spiteful. I like it!