Sunday, July 5, 2009

Why I drank the Fifth on the Fourth!

Ok, so mother in law (MIL) and brother in law (BIL) and his bitch wife from VT (SIL) came over to the house at 1130ish so we could all go visit the boys' father who is in a nursing home in our town.

PT 1 to me! They walk in, and I'm in the kitchen packing things up so I shout out a random hello. MIL comes in and I stop to hug her and chit chat. SIL comes in to say hello, I literally said hello, and then opened the frige and stuck my head in to find some fruit to pack. She stayed there for a few secs and then walked out. A few mins later her husband had to come in to ask me for something to eat for her b/c she didn't have breakfast and they woke up late, blah blah blah. I gave him a banana for her. So then she says to me - so how have you been? I answer her 'good' and turn away. EXACTLY what she did to me at Easter!

We get to the picnic at a cousin's house. I completely ignore her. OMG, it was FABULOUS! The boy and I say hello to everyone, we walk around, we see the fish, we go get changed for swimming. He goes in the pool, I sat down with a book and a drink. Don't even see her for like 40 mins. Then she comes over while I'm talking to some people. I don't say a word to her but she finally asks me where the husbands are - they had gone off walking/drinking. I was like, um, I don't know they are having fun somewhere. She's like oh, I need to get in the car. I tell her to call her husband and she tells me her cell phone is locked in the car. She's just brilliant isn't she? I even offered to call my husband and she's like no, no its okay. Okay, I put my phone away and go back to my book! She stands there for a few seconds and then walks away! Score!

She doesn't come near me for like an hour or so. The boy gets out of the pool, we have snacks, we walk around, we play etc. His cousins show up, we play with them, we go back into the pool with the cousins. I notice SIL is coming and all over the cousin's baby - fine by me. We all sit down, and she's sitting on my left. I literally pull my chair a bit away from her and sit down more to the right next to Aunt so and so. So cousin, aunt and I are chatting and SIL is next to me on the left not saying a fucking word. For like 25 mins. At one point, the boy splashed in the pool and we felt some drops - which felt great in the heat. She was like oh boy, stop splashing me. I shouted back out to him, you are doing fine baby don't worry. I didn't even look at her. We sat there for about an hour and then the kids get out and we walk back up to the table where we are all sitting.

Random vent - cousin's boyfriend is a schmuck in my opinion. The whole day he was smoking hand rolled herbal ciggarettes next to his 9 month old infant! WTF! I told my son to stay away from him and I kept him away when I saw the dickweed light up. I was shocked that cousin (a die hard hippie/free thinker/vegan) was okay with this - sure they may be herbal, but um, its still nasty stinky smoke that an infant does NOT need to breathe in. Bring on the asthma!

Anyway, SIL didn't say a word to me and it was great. She was mingling with the cousins and playing with the baby, and so was I and the boy. But I completely ignored her. I was holding the baby at one point, and everyone went to get food, she was like oh do you want me to watch her, and I just said no we are fine and then turned away.

Ok, then we are packing up to leave, and saying good bye to everyone. I went to say goodbye to the hostess, and sil was standing there. Well, I was ignoring the crap out of her while I said my byes to the hostess and a cousin. So SIL leaned over to hug/kiss me and I just stood there and said have a nice summer! Then I turned and walked away.

So it went very well. From now on, I treat her just like she's been treating me. She can't be bothered to talk to me, so why should I talk to her? Oh, at one point, by the pool the first time, she asked me what was knew. I was reading my book and I just said oh we are really busy - getting ready for our vacation on tuesday. And I continued reading my book, b/c as I knew she would, she just sat there with a blank look on her face and couldn't make conversation.

MIL was there and she was fine - isn't it funny? We got along just fine. Hubby likes to say how wonderful it is that I get along well with his mother now since I have his sister in law to hate. HA! Exactly.

0 comments: